Look Who's Back - Timur Vermes

This book has the interesting premise that Hitler, somehow finding himself alive in present-day (2011) Germany, tries to regain popularity and power with the use of modern media. However, I'm not entirely sure what the author is trying to convey.

If it is trying to portray how a person from the 1940s would cope with modern technology, I guess it is generally successful although some parts appear to be aiming for slapstick humour, and I find them to be quite jarring.

But if it is a satirical piece on politicians and how politics are conducted through TV talk shows and Youtube videos, then it doesn't go far enough. Still, this may be due to the fact that the author is holding back since Hitler is still a sensitive topic in Germany. The book is originally written in German and one scathing review online criticised the book for making light of Hitler and his policies.

However, in light Donald Trump (and Brexit, to a lesser extent), I do feel that this book can be seen as a warning against him. Appealing to xenophobic sentiments? Check. Criticising immigration and employment policies without considering their ramifications? Check. Sound bites which are appealing but have no substance? Check, check, check.

Still, this book was written in 2011, before Donald Trump, and this may be why it didn't go far enough, assuming that it is a satirical piece on politics. Overall, an average book although it may rise in significance after the US Presidential elections.